The Lancaster County Firemen’s Association operates a Fire Safety Trailer for public fire education at no cost the member organizations and their schools, day care centers, and community groups. The trailer is essentially a small house on wheels used to demonstrate fire conditions and provide education to children.
This trailer includes a miniature kitchen, living area, bedroom, and balcony. It can hold approximately 25 children per training session and is loaded with state-of-the-art technologies including residential sprinkler heads, interconnected smoke alarms, a stove suppression system, and a collapsible ladder that provides for safe egress from the balcony. Another innovative feature is the “SOS” light switch that can make a post lamp blink to allow firefighters to locate a structure more easily. The trailer also features a door with a built-in heating element to teach children to sense for fire and heat prior to opening a door. All of these features are in addition to the synthetic smoke generator and can be activated from the central control room.
View the Safety Trailer Calendar to see its availability. Submit registration to use the Safety Trailer below.
LCFA Fire Safety Trailer Procedure
- The Fire Safety Trailer booking and utilization is exclusive to member Emergency Service Organization (ESO’s). Any individual or entity other than a fire company interested in using the trailer should first coordinate with their local fire company department to make the necessary arrangements.
- The ESO hosting the event is responsible for ensuring they have adequate personnel to conduct a well-organized fire safety program. The driver/operator from the Lancaster County Firemen’s Association (LCFA) will be available to assist in operating the various simulation props in the safety trailer.
- To determine the availability of the safety trailer, the responsible fire company should visit the LCFA.com website and check the calendar under the Safety Trailer link on the main page.
- Once the desired date is confirmed, the fire company must submit the online reservation form provided.
- The ESO must notify the LCFA driver/operator of the number of adults and children who have successfully completed their program.
- ESO personnel are required to ensure that the interior of the trailer is cleaned after their event concludes, in order to prepare it for the next event.